Thursday, November 10, 2011

Multiple Flash

Qi An (Angie)
Multiple Flash Self Evaluation
   This is the most unsuccessful assignment I have ever done! When shooting on location, I found myself sometimes just forget I was dealing with more than one flash. Theoretically I am very clear that I should use a key light, a filling light and a light for either lightening background or emphasizing a subject. However, in practice I got everything messed up. When I changed my position and angle, I always forgot to tell my assistant where she shall move to cooperate with my camera, or which person she shall focus on. Also I feel sorry for my partners – my SB-600 seemed just not go with their SB-900, which caused a lot of trouble for our cooperation.
   Most of the outtakes have the problem of unbalanced lighting. The lady in white, who appeared in many pictures, got too hot. While the filling light was not used well, so the background was either too dark or too bright. Since people kept moving around, I did not make good composition. Another problem (I will not forgive myself ><) is that I used manual focus instead of auto focus all the time, just because in the last assignment I used manual and I forgot to change it back this time!
   In the first select, I intentionally kept the shadows on the wall, instead of softening them by filling light, because I thought the shape of the dancing people’s heads and bodies were interesting. In the second select I used a slow shutter to create sense of movement, but I did not know how to set rear mode on my flash, so I could not freeze the other dancer as I imagined. Both selects are not satisfactory. I guess I do need more practice on multiple flash.





No comments:

Post a Comment